Part P – Building Regulations

Part P of the Building Regulations for England and Wales

In 2005 the Government introduced electrical safety rules into the Building Regulations for England and Wales. Because of this, most fixed electrical installation work carried out in homes must, by law, meet the Building Regulations.
Part P states that any electrician or anyone carrying out electrical installation work in a home must make sure that the work is designed and installed to protect people from fire and electric shocks. Part P applies to newly-built homes and to any changes made to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired.
You can find full details on Part P on the Communities and Local Government website,
What electrical work is covered by this law?
All electrical installation work in a home, garden, conservatory or outbuilding must meet the Building Regulations. Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers.
Who is responsible for making sure that electrical work meets the requirements of Part P?
By law, all homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence. Local authorities can make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations.
What do I need to do before electrical installation work can be carried out in my home?
You must either:
1. Tell your local-authority building-control about the installation work before it starts;
2. Employ an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved Part P schemes.
We recommend that you use a registered electrician to do the electrical installation work. The advantages of using K&L Electrical registered electricians are:
• You will not have to pay any building-control charges;
• The electrician can deal with everything for you;
• The electrician will arrange for you to receive a certificate that confirms the work meets Building Regulations;
• By using a registered electrician you have access to a formal complaints procedure if the work doesn’t meet Building Regulations.
• You can choose to take out an insurance-backed guarantee when you have the work done, and you can make a claim if the work is later found not to meet Building
Regulations – What does Part P of the Building Regulations mean for me?
If you use a registered electrician, you can expect to have safe electrical installation work done, as the work will meet the UK national standard, BS 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations). When the work is finished you will receive:
• An Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Works Certificate that confirms that the work meets BS 7671.
• A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate that confirms that the work meets the Building Regulations.
Is it important who carries out electrical installation work in my home?
Electrical installation work must be carried out only by people who have the knowledge, skill and experience needed to avoid danger to themselves and others. It’s easy to make an electrical circuit work – it’s far harder to make the circuit work safely.
For more information please contact us via the Contact Form or telephone K&L directly on 01925 225191